A Randomly Selected Newspaper Headline:

The following is a randomly selected newspaper headline from many years ago:

Welcome to my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I assure you I always read and appreciate everything you have to say. Unfortunately, thanks to Blogger being, well . . . Blogger, I can not respond to comments nor leave any on your blogs. They simply disappear into the ether. Occasionally I will remember to respond in the next blog post I put up, but usually these good intentions slip my mind. So if you want to ask a question or get a response to any comments you may have please leave an email address or other contact method in your comment and I will get back to you.

I have also added a separate page to the blog for the Tower of Magic with a brief summary of all the rooms of the ToM in the one spot. The link is just below this and above the main body of the blog, or you can just click here.

Friday, June 8, 2012

What's In A Name?

I really need something better to call my current project than just "the Georgian House".  So I've been looking for some suitable sounding names, but can't decide what to use.   These are my favourites, all the details come from http://surnames.behindthename.com/

KEIGHLEY
SOURCE: Location
USAGE: English
Meaning & History
Derived from an English place name meaning "clearing belonging to Cyhha". The Old English given name Cyhha is of unknown meaning.
Keighley House sounds like a pretty grand and lofty place to me.

MURGATROYD
SOURCE: Location
USAGE: English
Meaning & History
From a place name meaning "MARGARET's road".
This one isn't really a serious contender, I just love how it the name sounds.

PETTIGREW
SOURCE: Nickname
USAGE: English, French
Meaning & History
Derived from French petit "small" and cru "growth".
A name meaning "small" seems appropriate for a miniature


PRESTON
SOURCE: Location
USAGE: English
Meaning & History
Originally derived from a place name meaning "priest town" in Old English.
Preston Manor sounds like a solid old English mansion, plus it's the name of the town where my Grandma was born.

REYNELL
SOURCE: Given Name
USAGE: English
Meaning & History
Variant of REYNOLDS


ROYSTON
SOURCE: Location
USAGE: English
PRONOUNCED: ROIS-tən   [key]
Meaning & History
Originally taken from an Old English place name meaning "town of Royse". The given name Royse was a medieval variant of ROSE.


WALMSLEY
SOURCE: Location
USAGE: English
Meaning & History
From an English place name meaning "a clearing in a wood, near a lake".

Please help me choose which name to use by voting in the poll at the top right of the page or suggest a different name, all ideas welcome!

5 comments:

  1. Love the name "Pettigrew Place" it sounds like a very grand house indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Royston because it means the key :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gave my "vote" for Preston Manor..
    I just like the way it sounds (^^)
    Although... I did juggle between it and Pettigrew Place.. Didn't like the sound of place *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are several serious contenders but I think the fact that Preston has a link to you as your grandmother's birthplace puts it ahead of the pack. What a nice way to remember and honour her as you work on it, and enjoy the finished house, if you were to pick up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Walmsly Place, it sounds like an english country house all you need are a couple of beagles playing in the living room and your set

    ReplyDelete