The Sitting Room for the Tower of Magic has changed a lot since I last showed it to you and it is now finished.
The fireplace and stone wall are foamboard covered in pollyfilla to create the look of stone blocks and then painted in a very boring stone-y grey. The firegrate is parts of a plastic fence railing, wire mesh and red glass and black seed beads for the embers.
I have to apologise for yet again having to use the flash to take these photos. I do try it without, but all I get is a black hole. On the right side wall is this wall unit filled with a few books that didn't fit on the built-in shelves and assorted magic-y bits and pieces.
The seats in this room are from kits by SDK Miniatures. I bought them years ago because they were perfect for what I was working on at the time . . . but didn't use them as it turns out they were also totally wrong for the space. I've tried them in various projects since, but never found the right place for them. I'm not sure I have yet either, they don't exactly look too comfy for just sitting about and relaxing on which is supposed to be the purpose of the room. At least now they're finally out of the cupboard.
The mirror illusion of continuing shelves in this room is perhaps not quite as effective as the mirror in the Library. The shelf corridor needed to be a little deeper so that you wouldn't see the change in flooring and a reflection of the green lady's skirt not to mention the end of the shelves. That or the mirror should have been more steeply angled.
This lady in green was dressed some four and a half years ago and since then had lived in the tower wing of Highcroft Castle. That is until my cat totally destroyed said tower. After months of looking at the ruins left behind I decided it wasn't worth trying to repair and have stripped everything salvageable from it to reuse and thrown the rest away. Thus the green lady and her tapestry frame have found a new home in the ToM.
The other lady in the room is newly made and dressed . . . and not my greatest success. She looks well enough, but doesn't exactly scream 'sorceress'. The problem is that her dress is cotton, rather than something fancy like silk or velvet. The one fabric store in my town no longer seems to be keeping things like silk and velvet, so I was trying to save the supply I have left by using cotton instead. I have a feeling that when my supply does run out I'm going to be in Trouble.
And finally, a sneak peek at the progress on my next project . . .