One of these rooms just doesn't belong. Take a look at the castle and tell me which room looks out of place:
It's the Gallery, isn't it? All the other rooms have soft, pastel like colours while the Gallery is more bold in it's colours. The newly made railing does knock back the burgundy on the lower wall but the strong yellow of the Tudor Frieze on top . . . .It just doesn't go anymore. The problem is that I really like it and want to keep it. What do I do?
Well, for the moment I'm just ignoring the issue and forging on ahead regardless. The ceiling of the Gallery has been covered with a sheet of 'tin ceiling'painted white with gold rub on paint to highlight the pattern. The railing has been made from prepurchased posts which support lengths of balsa wood which have had arches cut out of the bottom. At the moment it's just spray painted white and still needs a little sanding and finishing and painting the same soft white as featured in the Hall below.
Adding the railing to the cut out in the Solar wall dramatically changed the look of this room. All of a sudden the room started making sense. Finally, the Bespaq chaise looked like it was in the right spot where without the railing it looked all wrong. So continuing the campagin to ignore the Gallery's issues, I made some curtains from the same fabric as used on the bed upstairs to cover the doorway between the Solar and the Gallery and block the view into the problem zone. I make curtains by the pin and starch method. It involves cutting the fabric to length and pinning it out on a piece of foam so that it has nice even pleats, then saturating it with spray starch although some people use hairspray instead. Once dry the fabric will hold the pleats. In the Solar the curtains still need a pelmet adding accross the top to finish them off.
While pleating, I made the curtains for the bed. There is a short curtain against the side wall just to cover over the fact that the fancy cornice/frieze doesn't continue along this wall, curtains at either side of the foot and one at the head end of the side. I think it will look better with another drop at the foot end of the side as well. I just hope I have enough fabric. The fancy trim around the top of the bed was stained and finished at the same time as the rest of the bed with exactly the same colour and in pieces it all looked the same. Put the trim in place and it suddenly becomes a completely different shade of brown. Oh dear, another problem. The only solution is to take it down and re paint it until it decides to be and remain the right colour. (Oh, and Dan says I need to make proper bedsteps too).
There was progress in the Wardrobe as well with the addition of a rail around the top of the stairs and a new storage unit for the back wall. The unit is as always mostly balsa wood with a few ready made turnings and accents. The doors in the middle section open by pivoting on concealed pins. Now I just need to decide whether to give it a wood look finish or a more colourful paint job.