This week involved making four sets of curtains with two very different results. The curtains for the roombox bedroom are quite possibly my best curtains yet. They are made of damask with silk dupion tails and swag. The total height of the curtains is about 20cm. The next step is to make a window for them to frame, then they can be hung on the wall.
At the same time as making the curtains, I dressed the bed for the room in more of the silk and some pink brocade. The bed covers are fairly basic with no fancy flounces or frills because I didn't want them to detract from the bed itself. I am thinking however that I need to add a canopy over the bed of some kind.
Now to move on to curtains of the less sucessful kind. The curtains for Tilli's bed and bathroom were made from a light green linen and are . . . pretty horrid to be kind to them. It's not the scale (24th instead of 12th) that is the problem, its the way I did the windows. The windows and roof line are all angles with no where to really hang curtains from making it really awkward to get the curtains to hang and look right. Add to that the fact that I either didn't starch them enough or weren't left to dry long enough as all their pleats unpleated themselves while I was struggling to get them in the right spots.
Fortunately Tilli's bed was much more cooperative. It's fairly basic, just a bed sized slice of foam for the mattress while the headboard is the one that came with the foam house kit. The base of the mattress was covered with a ruffled trim to create a valance while the bed cover is a lilac cotton covered with a white and silver lace.
The bathroom curtains are just as bad as those in the bedroom. They're also too long and hang down behind the toliet. As you can see I'm replacing the so called bath tub that came with this 1/24th scale bathroom set with a larger built in tub. If you recall the original tub was a tad on the small size. The frame is balsa wood and foam while the tub itself is airdry clay. When the clay it dry it'll be trimmed around the top and painted to match the sink and loo.
Downstairs in the lounge is another set of curtains that rest somewhere between the green and the pink ones in terms of success. They are a pre-crinkled fabric with a piece of fancy trim used as a pelmet. Not horrible but not fabulous either.
At the kitchen end of the ground floor, the kitchen has been installed. The cabinets are simple box shapes covered in thin cream card. Extra rectangles of card ontop of the fronts make the cupboard doors. Dashes of gold leadlighting outliner give the impression of hinges while the handles are pieces of gold wire positioned on blobs of outliner. The countertops are balsa wood. The oven is balsa wood with wooden bead feet painted silver. I still need to add a hood over the hotplates.
You may be wondering where Tilli does her washing up and keeps her
refridgerated foods. Unfortunately, the answer is that she doesn't.
There just isn't room to include a sink and a fridge in this house. Infact there are lots of details that there just isn't room for which isn't surprising when you consider the house was intended to be a cheap toy. Next time I do a 1/24th scale house I'll design it from scratch and allow space for everything!
A Randomly Selected Newspaper Headline:
The following is a randomly selected newspaper headline from many years ago:
Welcome to my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I assure you I always read and appreciate everything you have to say. Unfortunately, thanks to Blogger being, well . . . Blogger, I can not respond to comments nor leave any on your blogs. They simply disappear into the ether. Occasionally I will remember to respond in the next blog post I put up, but usually these good intentions slip my mind. So if you want to ask a question or get a response to any comments you may have please leave an email address or other contact method in your comment and I will get back to you.
I have also added a separate page to the blog for the Tower of Magic with a brief summary of all the rooms of the ToM in the one spot. The link is just below this and above the main body of the blog, or you can just click here.