A Randomly Selected Newspaper Headline:
The following is a randomly selected newspaper headline from many years ago:
Welcome to my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I assure you I always read and appreciate everything you have to say. Unfortunately, thanks to Blogger being, well . . . Blogger, I can not respond to comments nor leave any on your blogs. They simply disappear into the ether. Occasionally I will remember to respond in the next blog post I put up, but usually these good intentions slip my mind. So if you want to ask a question or get a response to any comments you may have please leave an email address or other contact method in your comment and I will get back to you.
I have also added a separate page to the blog for the Tower of Magic with a brief summary of all the rooms of the ToM in the one spot. The link is just below this and above the main body of the blog, or you can just click here.
Tuesday, April 8, 2014
A Few Changes . . .
The Master's Chamber received a few finishing touches this week, most notably some trim around the ceiling.
This trim is a 3/4" wide strip of the same fabric used for the ceiling wrapped around the top of the wall with black braid along the bottom and top of the fabric.
The depth of the trim meant I had to replace the picture frame over the bed with something shallower. I'm now calling this room finished despite the fact that it really does need another hit of red along the back wall to help tie the "red" theme together. As I can't think of what to add to do this the Chamber will be staying like this. At least for now.
Now that the Lab and Master's Chamber are finished, I'm taking a break from the Tower of Magic for a while and first off I'm doing a little restoration on some older projects.
You may recall this roombox from a couple of years ago. There was nothing really wrong with it but somehow it just never really appealed to me. So I swapped the room with another old roombox that was a little long in the tooth and denuded by my 'borrowing' things from it for other projects. This other box is shallower but wider and allows for a better layout of the furniture. I repapered the walls of this alternate box in a plain lavender coloured paper and moved the new furniture in to create this:
I think it works a lot better than the original. The box in which the white furniture was originally will also be redone over the next few weeks.
But first, I worked on this old conservatory. Over the years I'd pinched everything out of this room and let's face it, the décor was never that fab to begin with. So now it looks like this:
I repainted the walls in plum and raided by stash of furniture. The planter is a plastic cradle with the rockers cut off.
Although hard to see in the photos there is a bird in the birdcage. You may notice the cross pieces in the doors are still blue; I can't repaint them unless I take the doors completely apart and as you would normally be looking into the room from the front and unable to see them I don't think it's worth the risk of serious damage.
Looking in from the front there is one slight mistake in this room. Can you spot it? There is no knob on the faux door on the back wall. Oops!
This roombox also suffered from furniture thieving and is in the process of being restored. I've added the desk that was in the roombox that became the lavender walled bedroom. I still need to do a few things in here, such as dress the second lady. I'm hoping to find a matching pair of vases (or other ornaments) for the mantle at the local Doll, Bear and Miniature fair this weekend.
The "Dragon's Maiden" is in the need of the most attention. After years of being climbed over by cats, the front garden has been decimated, thanks to the way DHE designed the kit, the front pieces will only go back in place and stay there if you don't breathe on them, the roof needs totally re-shingling and the insides just need tizzy-ing up. This is a lot of work when you consider that I want to have it all finished by Easter so I can use my few days off to start something completely new.